Monday, January 21, 2008

...and we're back.

The last week has been an insane whirlwind of activity...trip to Florida, meetings there, trip back from Florida, visit from Mom, visit from Dave's parents, and getting back to work.

I've decided that the only way I can possibly come close to being a decent housekeeper is to either invite houseguests, or host parties regularly. I don't tolerate filth, but I'm not so great about clutter...and since I'm blind, I don't really see the dust...I just know that it's there. Our house usually gets a deep cleaning on the following occasions:

1. Prior to Three Year Old's birthday parties
2. Prior to Houseguests Visiting
3. Prior to Events Hosted at Our House*

*when the guest list includes individuals who don't frequently drop by, and are therefore not accustomed to my comfort level with a "lived in" look.

Part of the problem is that I piddle around when cleaning the house - instead of just straightening up the bathroom, I clean out the medicine cabinet, fold the towels, bring in some candles, hang a picture, you get the idea. Therefore, cleaning the house is a day long process for me, culminating in my frustration and anger at the world when I'm down to the wire and still haven't mopped the hideous linoleum in my kitchen. (Seriously, it's a waste of time. The only thing that would make that floor look good is a new floor. Why bother?)

Upon reading this post, I'm actually getting kind of proud of me. I'm a very "Type A" personality, and I hate that reference with a passion. I'm detailed, picky, and a perfectionist. When a coworker asked me how I lost so much weight, and I said "stress", she replied that when she got stressed out, she ate more. I told her that she needed to worry more, because the diet doesn't really work until you're nauseated by the thoughts of impending doom circling in your brain. So, maybe it isn't so bad that I'm not the most wonderful housekeeper in the whole world - maybe that means that instead of getting wrapped up about how the house looks, I'm doing what I really want to do at home - spending time with my family. Maybe other people like to drop by our house because it is comfortable - there are stacks of magazines to read, plenty of places to put up your feet, and an inflatable bed if you're too tired to go home...or if you break your neck trying to walk across the room and need a place to stay while you recover.

On a totally unrelated note, we saw "Cloverfield" this weekend, and it ROCKS. If you are a fan of disaster movies, this one is not to be missed. Go see it, and think of how I told you it was good during the discussion of "flaming homeless guy".

No comments: