Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Resolved: New Years Resolutions Require Serious Life Choices

As a debater, I can't hear the word "resolution" without creating a value proposition and constructing a prima facie case. It occurred to me this morning, as I was drafting and rejecting new year's resolutions, that when one decides to make a change, he/she is actually choosing a new life. For example, resolving to entertain more frequently requires a corollary resolution to be a better housekeeper. In another parallel, all resolutions must follow more or less the same path - it's not possible to resolve to be a better employee while simultaneously resolving to learn the ancient craft of embezzlement.

My resolutions are hazy at the moment - I'm attempting to clarify them, and keep their numbers to a real and achievable level. Given my tendency to overcommit, and associated leaning toward harsh self criticism, I don't want to set myself up for an uncomfortable conversation with me later this year.

Hope your 2008 is great so far! My first goal is complete - 1-800-CONTACTS has received my order, paid with my shiny new Flexible Spending Account card. Now THAT'S an achievable goal.

No comments: