Sunday, August 12, 2007

The Heat is On

Although talking about the weather is one of the most overwhelmingly boring topics in the whole world, the recent trend in scorching, soul-sucking, insufferable heat is my focus for LGF this weekend. Yesterday we stayed inside pretty much *all day*, due to the fear of evaporating if we ventured out of the house. This morning, Dave and I attacked two outside projects, thinking that if we started early, we would avoid the worst part of the day. We were wrong. There is no avoiding the worst part of the day, when it lasts all day long. Thanks to Dave, the trees are pruned, the branches are cut and ready for the garbage pickup, and the yard is watered. Thanks to me, the leather in the Maxima is cleaned and conditioned, and there is no longer an obstacle course through our garage of empty boxes filled with packing paper. I can't say the same regarding the rest of the garage, but heat stroke prevented me from going further. Those of you who know me well will understand that I had to be lured from the garage into the house, as I had entered into "project zone", where the need for food, water, and elimination are ignored in my quest to complete my task. Unfortunately, the nature of my tasks tend to grow from something manageable (break down boxes, put packing paper into trash bags) into a hero's challenge worthy of endorsement by the Stygian Witches (clean entire garage, organize tools into cabinets, rearrange boxes by contents, then repaint exterior of house - before lunch). Thankfully, Dave did an intervention and so I didn't die. That makes it a good day.

Venturing from the usual format, I give my highest approval to a movie we watched this weekend - 300, based on Frank Miller's graphic novel about the Battle of Thermopylae. This movie had it all - strong characters, outstanding story, educational plot, and men who went to war in their underwear and a cape. Those guys knew how to accessorize, too - the shields, the spears, the swords - all TOP quality. I admire that. I may well be the last person in the U.S. to see this movie, as it's been over 3 years since I saw a movie at an actual theater. This has it's good and bad points - I would have liked to see this one in the theater (I understand that it was at IMAX for a while, dammit!) but on the plus side, I can stop the movie whenever I need a drink, smoke, etc.

My brain is still sore, so that's it for today. Until tomorrow...

1 comment:

BTS said...

Sure, Katy. The Stygian Witches appreciate your hard work now. But the moment you start playing catch with that eye they share, all bets are off.